Every destination has its season. Bad weather, monsoon, heat wave and freezing days can ruin a vacation. But worry no more, you can now use this cheat sheet to plan a hassle-free vacation around Asia Pacific for any times of the year!
– 10 Holiday Ideas for 2018 Singapore Long Weekends (46 Vacation Days)
– 2017 Singapore Holidays Guide
Best Time to Visit Equatorial Southeast Asia:
Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Timor Leste
- April-September period sees the least amount of rain in this region.
- The only exception is the west coast of Malaysia (most prominently Penang and Langkawi), which sees less rain around November-March.
Best Time to Visit Indochina & Rest of Southeast Asia:
Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, Philippines
- November-February is a good time to head slightly north to Indochina, when the weather is relatively “cooler” than usual and there are less rainy days to be expected.
Best Time to Visit North Asia:
Japan, South Korea, North Korea, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mongolia
- Generally, spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) is the best time to visit this region, with colorful flowers or red leaves decorating the landscape. Summer tends to be humid and monsoonal, while dinner can get a little too cold with less activities here.
- However, places like Hokkaido and Harbin are bustling with activities during the winter month of December-February.
- Mongolia can only be visited during the summer months of June-September, as otherwise most of the attractions will be below freezing at other times of the year!
Best Time to Visit Australia & New Zealand
- September-March is ideal for warm, sunny days with clear blue skies, which complement the picturesque beauty of this region best.
- However, the tropical north and some parts of western Australia (most notably Uluru, Kakadu, Great Barrier Reef) is best visited during the drier winter months of May-August. Gentler tidal during this season is also conducive for snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef and surrounding areas.
- The unique phenomenon of Christmas Island’s red crab migration may vary between years, but it is usually expected to occur between October-December.
Best Time to Visit the Pacific Islands:
Papua New Guinea, Fiji, etc.
- June-September is dry season for most of the Pacific Islands. Otherwise, temperature is pleasant all year round.
Best Time to Visit the Himalayas:
Nepal, Bhutan, Northern Pakistan
- Generally, spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) is the best time to visit this mountainous region, which is otherwise too cold during winter or too rainy during summer.
- Exception applies for Pakistan, where traveling is highly affected by snow condition along its Northern mountain ranges. As such, May-October is the ideal time to explore Northern Pakistan once the snows have completely melted.
Best Time to Visit the Rest of South Asia:
India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Southern Pakistan
- Summer can be burning hot in South Asia, not to mention endless raining. The cooler and drier November-March period is a much more acceptable time to explore this region.
- The Kashmir region, with prominent Himalayan mountain features, is an exception. March-June is the best time to visit Kashmir, right after the cold winter days are gone but just before the monsoonal summer starts.
- Some parts of Sri Lanka along its northern and eastern side (including the Cultural Triangle) is affected by a slightly different monsoonal pattern, with April-September being the drier period.
Feel free to share this infographic with your friends and families. If you find this guide useful, like our Facebook page to receive more useful tips and Best Time to Visit Europe/Africa/Rest of the World/etc. in the future!